More formats and an optimized workflow
EDIUS Pro 8 supports more file formats than any other NLE. This includes Sony XDCAM, Panasonic P2, Canon XF as well as the EOS film formats and many more. For postproduction purposes Grass Valley’s highly performant intermediate 10-bit-HQX-Codec is the optimal choice. While the HQX-Codec is already included the Avid DNxHD-codec is available as an option. The EDIUS 8 Workgroup-version includes both of these codecs.
EDIUS is well known to support the camera manufacturers’ newest codecs at very early stages – sometimes even before the corresponding camera-models hit the shelves! With EDIUS Pro 8 you master every format and recording method. This includesSony XAVC (Intra/Long GOP), /XAVC S, Panasonic AVC-Ultra, Canon XF-AVC (e.g.Canon 4K Camcorder XC10 and C300 Mark II) and more.
You buy it, you keep it – a secure investment
When purchasing EDIUS Pro 8 the user receives a permanent license including all 8.x updates free of charge introducing new features during the EDIUS Pro 8 lifecycle. EDIUS Pro 8 is free from subscription fees and time-limitations. Your investment is secure because you may work with EDIUS Pro 8 as long as you wish with no further charges even after the introduction of a new EDIUS-version (major release) in the future.
EDIUS Pro 8 allows to be installed onto two PCs, like a desktop-PC and a notebook. This way you may continue editing an ongoing project while travelling. In case your notebook is not well suited for rather demanding material (like 4K/multicam/multiple layers) you will enjoy the EDIUS Pro 8-proxy-mode for a smooth and uninterrupted editing experience.
64-bit and 4K
Built from scratch as a native 64-bit-solution for Windows 7, 8 and 10 EDIUS Pro 8 utilizes all of the advantages of today’s advanced 64-bit-operating systems. This includes the usage of up to 512 GB of system RAM for an optimal throughput of data, which is essential when using multiple layers, editing 3D and working with multicam-projects.
EDIUS Pro 8 is optimized for Intel Quick Sync like no other NLE. Not only does Quick Sync speed up the encoding of H.264 exporting files up to 10 times faster. Playing back H.264-footage on the timeline has been greatly improved as well as enabling to smoothly edit 4K-material even with a less then optimized office PC.
Quick Sync is a hardware implemented GPU-feature offered от many of Intel’s current Core i7, Core i5 and even Core i3 processors. Versions i7-4790K and i7-6700k are highly recommended for desktop-PCs as well as the i7-4810QM and i7-6820HQ for notebooks.
With EDIUS Pro 8.10 the performance of ProRes and DNxHD footage on the timeline has been speeded up от 250 %.
Best in class editing of different formats on one timeline
Like no other NLE EDIUS Pro 8 is capable of a real-time-editing, real-time up- and down-scaling, framerate- and format-conversion allowing mixing all kinds of different formats and footage on one timeline. If you work in HD then simply move any 4/3-SD-file onto the timeline, just mix NTSC- and PAL-footage, add some 4K-shots and footage with different framerates. EDIUS Pro 8 takes care of any needed real-time conversion with no time wasted on manual transcoding or rendering queues.
EDIUS Pro 8 supports resolutions from 24×24 pixel up to 4Kx2K (4096×2048), all on one timeline, even nested in sequences, including alpha-channel (transparency) and all in real-time.
Exporting files into any desired format is just as comfortable. Resolution and framerates can be adjusted to your individual needs. Plenty containers like AVI, QuickTime and Windows Media as well as different codecs are available. This includes high-end formats for a typical professional environment as well as formats best suited for consumer use.
As of version 8.32 EDIUS comes with the content management tool Mync Standard. This tool was previously called GV Browser and has now been extended with a number of powerful features. As a personal file manager it allows you to sort and manage all kinds of footage, audio-clips and stills, add attributes and keywords and edit storyboards. The sorted files will automatically be shown within the EDIUS source browser for a fast and easy access. Mync can also export stills and put clips online от uploading them to channels like YouTube and Vimeo or FTP-servers.
Mync is intelligent: After attaching an usb-drive or memory-card to your PC all supported formats will automatically be detected and shown within the bin-window.
The future of EDIUS Pro 8
During the product-cycle of EDIUS 8.x (until the end of 2017) enhancements and new features will be continuously made available to users free of charge. Of course, the software can be used without any limitation also after 2017.
These features are planned for upcoming dot- releases:
- High DPI support
- Further support of import from H.265/HEVC
The EDIUS Workgroup 8 version will additionally include:
- Audio-loudness auto-adjust according to R128
EDIUS Workgroup 8 – Differences to EDIUS Pro 8
EDIUS Workgroup 8 contains all features of EDIUS Pro 8 and supports the same plug-ins and hardware as EDIUS Pro 8. On top of that EDIUS Workgroup 8 offers additional features and benefits that we will describe in the following.
EDIUS Workgroup 8 addresses broadcasters as well as individual users in need of an enhanced feature set. The workgroup-version allows connecting to the Grass Valley STRATUS Video Produktion & Content Management System and working directly with a Grass Valley K2 SAN-system. Furthermore network solutions like a variety of MAM-systems (media asset management) are supported.
Especially in a broadcast environment with EDIUS as a strong player all across the globe, networking features are essential. Combined with GV STRATUS several cutters can work on the same story sharing the same source material, media and metadata for an ultrafast turnaround.
This combination supports and serves numerous destinations at the same time such as playout-servers, content management systems, social media channels and digital libraries.
The combination of EDIUS Workgroup 8 and GV STRATUS also offers an efficient content management system including workflow automation, the administration of user rights and storage optimization.
Even working remotely from a home office or directly from the set is possible with this system only requiring an internet-connection. You can search, stream and view stories as well as edit projects от proxy mode in low resolution or transfer the high-res-material onto your local storage before editing. When you have finished editing, the project file will be auto-conformed от the GV STRATUS Render Engine workstation computer for final processing and output.
If systems are not connected to GV STRATUS, proxy mode editing can also be made available от using the optional EDIUS XRE conform engine.
Different to EDIUS Pro 8 the EDIUS Workgroup version allows an offline-activation.
Therefore the editing system does not need to be connected to the internet. Generating an EDIUS ID is possible if you wish to do so but not mandatory.
Besides network-aspects there are several additional differences between EDIUS Workgroup 8 and EDIUS Pro 8. We have listed those in the following table and additionally commented on some features for a better understanding.
Key features of EDIUS Pro 8 and Workgroup 8
Key features of EDIUS Pro 8 and Workgroup 8
- “You buy it, you keep it”: EDIUS Pro 8 and EDIUS Workgroup 8 are both available for purchase. You buy once and use EDIUS for an unlimited time as long as you wish. This is the model most users prefer with no monthly payment involved, no subscription fee and no end of license.
- NEW: Always up to date: Numerous new features and enhancements will be made available within the EDIUS Pro 8 / EDIUS Workgroup 8-lifetime until the end of 2017. These dot-releases will be free of charge.
- NEW: high quality slow-motion effect through Optical Flow Technology
- NEW: high quality frame rate conversion directly in the timeline through Optical Flow Technology (in real-time!)
- NEW: different resolutions and quality levels for proxy-files
- NEW: Motion Tracker in order to track and use filters and effects on objects and image areas
- NEW: LUT (Look-Up-Table) import
- NEW: extensive LOG support
- NEW: HDR workflow
- NEW: new primary color correction with many settings possibilities and YRGB curves
- NEW: utilization of the GPU to accelerate complex color corrections (support of the primary color correction)
- NEW: Possibility to use EDIUS also without Apple QuickTime (QuickTime has security lapses)
- NEW: optimized preview mode with reduced resolution (if required) for more real-time effects (only the Workgroup version)
- NEW: Mync for managing video, audio and stills. Allows tagging, entering and searching for keywords, retrieving and previewing clips in high quality.
- Optimal 4K-workflow supporting 3rd party hard- and software like Blackmagic Design Decklink 4K Extreme, Ultra Studio 4K, Intensity Pro 4K as well as EDL and AAF import/export with the high-end Grass Valley HQX Codec along with DaVinci Resolve 12 as color grading solution.
- Supports editing hardware from leading manufacturers like Blackmagic Design, Matrox and AJA.
- NEW: Supports Open FX Plug-ins.
- Compatible with any resolution between 24×24 pixel up to 4Kx2K, real-time-framerate-conversion on one timeline for a fluent and uninterrupted editing experience.
- NEW: Optimized GUI for an even faster workflow.
- NEW: Optimized visibility and ergonomics supporting 4K/UHD-displays.
- Fast and easily customizable GUI supporting an unlimited number of video-, audio-, title- and graphic-tracks.
- Supports the newest file-formats like Sony XAVC (Intra/Long GOP)/ XAVC S and Panasonic AVC-Ultra/AVC-Intra 4K 422.
- NEW: Supports the new Canon 4K XF-AVC-Codecs (import only) that comes with the new Canon 4K-Camcorder XC10 and C300 Mark II.
- Native support of the majority of different video-formats like Sony XDCAM, Panasonic P2, Ikegami GF, RED as well as Canon XF and EOS and more.
- Fastest and most responsive editing of AVCHD-material available on the market.
- Multicam-editing allowing up to 16 sources simultaneously supporting the editing-card’s real-time video output.
- NEW: Improved MPEG encoder/decoder
- NEW: Improved H.264/AVC encoder/decoder for even faster encodings of 4K XAVC-material.
- NEW: Optimized playback of 4K H.264-material.
- NEW: Optimized for the Intel Core I architecture 4th generation (Haswell).
- Native 64-processing allowing the allocation of maximum RAM for an optimal real-time-experience.
- Proxy mode workflow enabling older computers to work fluently even on complex projects thus securing your investment on hardware (ROI).
- Supports Intel Quick Sync acceleration for an extreme fast H.264-export (ideal for H.264 based formats like AVCHD and SONY X-AVS S and exporting to Blu-ray disk).
- Fast handling of large quantities of still pictures (JPG, TGA, DPX and more).
- Excellent workflow to edit stereoscopic 3D video-footage.
- Built-in image stabilization enhancing shaky footage.
- Direct timeline-export to DVD and Blu-ray.